Mental well-being is characterized by a sense of being in control of one’s emotions and behavior, a sense of confidence and high self-esteem, a sense of happiness and contentment, a sense of meaning and purpose in life, the ability to have fulfilling relationships and the ability to cope with life’s stresses and bounce back from adversity. Mental well-being strongly impacts one’s physical health and overall sense of well-being.
As women, we have an inclination to put everyone else first before ourselves. However, it is important to look after ourselves first, to ‘put on our oxygen masks first’- this is not only in our own interest but also in the interest of those whom we care for and those around us.
Some tips to improve one’s mental well-being:
1) Look after yourself.
2) Get some sunlight daily. This impacts mood and overall health.
3) Limit the use of alcohol; avoid smoking and other drugs of addiction.
4) Practice a relaxing yet energizing activity such as yoga, meditation, etc.
5) Engage in a creative activity you like: painting, writing, gardening, dance, music etc.
6) Make time for fun stuff. Watch a funny movie, go for a walk, listen to music, read a good book, or talk to a friend.
7) Keep learning. Learn a new skill, join a class, take up a new hobby. Stay connected.
8) Invest in close friendships.
9) Make time for spirituality.
10) Practise mindfulness i.e. deep, meditative focus: If done with ‘mindfulness,’ simple activities such as organizing and cleaning closets can become very relaxing activities.
11) Gratitude and appreciation: Make time to think about the things you are grateful for. Enjoy the sunset, practice deep breathing, take a moment to pay attention to what is good and positive in your life.